Monday 30 May 2011

Ramblings of a yarn geek in cyberspace

I can talk about yarn for days, I can crochet up a blizzard of snowflakes all in the time it takes Mr Jumble to watch a movie, hook a scarf and matching mittens on a wet Sunday afternoon.  I have had a fabric stash for many years, long before I was given a sewing machine - something about textiles makes me giddy and excited, my heart gets jittery at the mere thought of some hooky time. 

A cup of tea and an inspirational book full of colour, textures and new ways of exploring textiles is my idea of utopia.

But computers, YUCK,  my words dry up, the interest is lost and my brain begins to ache.  I think really it's a fear, computers seem to think for themselves when you least expect it and yet when you want to find something it's gone!

So when Jumble Jelly found itself of Facebook I very quickly and happily gave this to Mrs Jelly - she is much better at Facebook than I am.  My personal account (as all my friends there will testify) is shockingly neglected.  I am probably missing something wonderful but I'd rather have a skein of yarn......

Then Jumble Jelly went on Twitter, it was only fair for me to take some responsibility.  I duly learnt my username and password and learnt how to Tweet!  I was so very proud of myself, I am even able to achieve this unsupervised and with no direction or instruction. That immense pride and self worth came tumbling down around me when only a few days ago I discovered that my cyber skills are still sadly way behind my youngest child.  I have spent the last few weeks completely unaware that lovely people out there had sent messages, tried engaging in conversation with us, all without my knowledge meaning they got no response.

I am so sorry but you see I am just a yarn geek in a world way beyond my comfort zone, desperate to spend all my days talking hooks, yarn and fabric but I apologise for my appalling cyber skillls and promise that I will try to be better or if that fails ply Mrs Jelly with chocolate brownies and make such a bad job of it that she will feel compelled to rescue the general public from the yarn geek!

On a more cheery note Jumble & Jelly (the woolly ones, not myself and Mrs Jelly) have a rather big day ahead of them tomorrow - it's shearing day!  We are hoping for a warm and sunny day so that losing their fleecy coats is not too much of a shock.  I promise to update with pictures tomorrow evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment